NMA Federal Credit Union was officially organized and chartered on April 16, 1960 as Navy Public Works Center Federal Credit Union. The credit union had no official office space until 1968 when it opened an office in building A-67 on the Norfolk Naval Base. In 1971, the credit union moved to larger quarters in building A-68. In 1975, the credit union again moved – to building A-81. A second branch was opened in building Z-140 in 1983.
The credit union experienced steady growth in membership and assets over the years. In the spring of 1987, the decision was made to open a branch off base. Thus, the Haygood Road office became the new Virginia Beach Branch, making the credit union more accessible to members living in Hampton Roads.
NMAFCU Company Milestones
- May 1990The Navy Public Works Center offered the credit union space on the first floor of building Z-A-140. The new office provided expanded office space and allowed the credit union to add an ATM machine at that location.
- May 1991The credit union updated its computer system. The new system (FISERV’s Galaxy 2000) included features to assist members in completing transactions quickly. The system also allowed the credit union to offer a 24-hour audio response system called TAPLINE. On November 1, 1991, the credit union opened its new expansion of the Haygood Road office. The expansion featured a larger lobby/teller area for members and has provided some much needed space for operations personnel.
- July 1994Navy PWC Norva Federal Credit Union joined the Credit Union Service Centers to offer members more convenient personal service at facilities shared by other credit unions in Virginia and throughout the country. Service Centers provide additional locations, drive-thru tellers, ATMs and extended operational hours for members.
- June 1996Navy PWC Norva Federal Credit Union held its official ground breaking ceremony for a new main office located on Haygood Road in Virginia Beach. The new office featured a drive-thru teller and a walk-up ATM.
- January 2001Online account access is introduced. Members are able to access accounts through CUONLINE@HOME.
- July 2001Announcement of three new groups to the field of membership: Career Women’s Golf Association, Virginia Beach Task Force on Aging, and the Lake Smith Terrace, Haygood Point, Governor Square Civic League.
- October 2001The Teller, Navy PWC FCU newsletter, announces initiation of name change in response to PWC downsizing.
- May 2004Navy PWC FCU changes it’s name to Naval Mid-Atlantic Federal Credit Union approved by NCUA.
- December 2005Naval Mid-Atlantic FCU becomes NMA Federal Credit Union.
- July 2006NMA Federal Credit Union opens a branch at 5300 Kemps River Drive, Virginia Beach, complete with drive-thru and walk up ATM.
- June 2010NMA Federal Credit Union and Shore Memorial Federal Credit Union merge expanding locations to Exmore Virginia.
- January 2012NMA Federal Credit Union membership is approved by NCUA to include Northampton and Accomac Counties.
- March 2012Branches opened in the towns of Cape Charles and Parksley Virginia.